Supplementary Recommendations: Promoters
These suggestions have been adapted from the Green Orchestras Guide (2010).
The following are specific actions that Promoters will commit to undertaking.
Environmental Policy Development
- Develop and adopt an environmental policy that articulates the company’s roles, responsibilities and commitment to addressing its environmental impacts. See the Julie’s Bicycle Environmental Policy Guidelines for assistance.
Top Tips: General
- Use a Green Rider along with your Technical and/or Hospitality Riders or include sustainability clause(s) in your existing rider. This rider is internationally applicable.
- Choose greener venues and festivals.
- Measure your tour emissions using the Julie’s Bicycle IG Touring Tool (or equivalent).
- Use greener, ethical merchandise which has been sustainably sourced and manufactured. See our Sustainable Merchandise Guide for more information and search for suppliers on our Green Suppliers Database.
- Support greener audience travel. Promote and encourage the use of public transport to audiences travelling to your concerts. Our Communicating with Audiences guide may help.
- Communicate with your team and audiences about what your environmental impacts are and how you are reducing them. Julie’s Bicycle Practical Guides cover communication with different stakeholders.
- Work where possible with transport companies, suppliers and caterers that use energy efficient equipment, locally sourced products and sustainable materials, and have clear environmental policies. The Julie’s Bicycle Green Suppliers Database is a good starting place.
Top Tips: Travel and Touring
- Undertake annual carbon audits of the orchestra’s touring activities and use this information to inform planning.
- Encourage public transport, coach travel options for tours and performances as much as possible.
- Encourage car-pooling where public transport or coach travel options are not feasible.
Top Tips: Venues
- Include a “green rider” in performance contracts that requests measures to improve energy, water and waste efficiency, marketing materials, and encourages public transport choices.
Top Tips: Audiences
- Share information about our commitments, impacts and actions in marketing materials.