Supplementary Recommendations: Concert Halls & Venues
The following are specific actions that BACH (British Association of Concert Halls) members will commit to undertaking.
Environmental Policy Development
- Develop and adopt an environmental policy that articulates the concert hall/venue’s roles, responsibilities and commitment to addressing its environmental impacts. See our Environmental Policy Guidelines for assistance.
Top Tips: General
- Communicate environmental commitments, impacts and actions internally to the Chief Executive and staff as well as to stakeholders (funders, audiences, supply chain etc). Read our Communicating With Your Staff Guide and Communicating with Audiences Guide.
- Incorporate commitments, impacts and actions into organisational reporting processes.
- Designate ‘environmental champions’ and/or ‘green teams’ with specific environmental responsibilities.
- Measure and reduce energy and water use in buildings using the Julie’s Bicycle free online carbon calculators, the IG Tools and sMeasure (or equivalent).
- Recycle and compost as much waste as possible.
- Adopt an environmental procurement policy for goods and services. See our Sustainable Purchasing Guide for more information.
- Use less and lower impact printed marketing materials. See the 'printing' section of our Sustainable Merchandise Guide for more information.
- Choose a greener energy supplier.
- Choose suppliers and business products that have strong social and environmental credentials. Search our Green Suppliers Database for companies with green credentials and see our Sustainable Merchandise Guide for more information.
Top Tips: Travel and Touring
- Try to travel by public transport where possible and offset any flights. Try to cut down on business travel through video conferencing where possible. Put public transport information to your venue on your website for audiences.
- Ask incoming productions what steps they are taking to reduce their environmental impact, and share your environmental policy and action plan with them.
- Share information about the venue’s commitments, impacts and actions in marketing materials. Read our Communicating with Audiences Guide for more information.